If you already have a meter, or have requested one, the WaterSure scheme puts a cap on the amount you have to pay for your water.
How does it work?
WaterSure caps your annual metered bill amount so you won’t pay over a certain amount for the year, no matter what your actual consumption is.
The WaterSure Wales charge from 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2023 is £374.01 (£157.50 for water, £216.51 for sewerage).
Am I eligible?
The scheme is available to customers who already have a water meter, or opt in to have a water meter fitted. To be eligible, you must be receiving a qualifying benefit or tax credit and either :
- have 3 or more children under the age of 19 living at your home who you can claim Child Benefit for, or
- have a member of your household with a medical condition that requires significant use of extra water
You must be in receipt of at least one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income related Employment & Support Allowance
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Attendance Allowance (AA)
- Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit (except families in receipt of the family element only)
- Universal Credit
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Common conditions which require a significant amount of extra water can include:
- Desquamation (flaky skin disease)
- Weeping Skin (eczema, psoriasis, varicose ulceration)
- Abdominal Stoma
- Crohn's Disease
- Renal failure requiring home dialysis (except where the health authority contributes to the cost of the dialysis
If your condition is not listed here, but still requires a significant amount of water, you may provide information in your application.
You don't meet the requirements if...
- You don't have a water meter fitted at your property. If you'd like to have a meter fitted to qualify, please complete the WaterSure Wales application form, including the meter application form on page 5.
- You water your garden with a non-handheld appliance, such as a sprinkler or domestic irrigation system.
- You have a swimming pool or pond with a capacity of over 10,000 litres.
- The property you're applying for isn't your main home.
- Your property is used for commercial purposes.
- You share payment of your bill with your neighbour(s)