The HelpU scheme helps low income households by putting a cap on the amount you have to pay for your water.
How does it work?
The HelpU scheme helps the lowest income households in our region. If you qualify, we will cap your water bill so you won’t pay over a certain amount for the year.
If you have a water meter, you will never pay more than the amount you have used. If your consumption is less than the HelpU cap amount, you will only be billed for the amount of water you have used.
The HelpU charge from 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021 is £211.00.
Are you eligible?
To qualify for the tariff:
- the water supply to the household must be for domestic use only
- someone in the household must receive at least one means-tested benefit
- the combined annual household income must be on or under the threshold for the household size as shown in the table below.
|Household Size||Income Threshold|
It’s important to let us know the total number of occupants (including children) in your household and to include all the income your household receives from occupiers who live at your property who are aged 16 years and over.
Here’s a list of types of the means-tested benefits which someone in the household must be receiving at least one of:
- Pensions Credit
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income Support
- Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
- Housing Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Reduction / Support
Special Note: We exclude some types of income from the combined annual household income calculation (such as Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and disability/carer benefits and premiums). For more information please refer to our Terms and Conditions.
How do I apply?
You can apply online with our HelpU application form.