Frozen Pipes at your Business | Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
Dwr Cymru Welsh Water

Monday, 17th February

With flooding still affecting many communities in Wales and Herefordshire, we are experiencing high volumes of calls due to the high winds and heavy rain and our crews are extremely busy.

Here are the organisations you may need to contact:

Natural Resources Wales - 0800 80 70 60 (24 Hours) - if the flooding is coming from a watercourse (such as a stream) that is about to or has burst its banks.

Your Local Council – if you suspect the flooding is resulting from rising groundwater or surface water run off.

Welsh Water Sewerage Services & Emergencies - 0800 085 3968 (24 hours) or report an issue via a webform – for flooding inside your property caused by a blocked or overloaded sewer.

My Water Cold Weather Frozen Pipes at your Business

Frozen Pipes at your Business

No water? Frozen pipes? Burst pipes?

Here’s what to do… 

What do you do if you have no water?

If you have no water during the cold weather or your water pressure has dropped so there's only a trickle coming out of the tap, don’t panic.

  • Check out the In your Area page to see if there is a problem that we are already working to resolve in your area.
  • Check to see if the neighbouring properties are also affected. If they are but the issue is not listed on the In Your Area page, please contact us so we can try to resolve as quickly as possible.
  • If you're the only one without water, you could have frozen pipes on your property.

What do you do if you have frozen pipes?

  • Find your internal stop tap and turn it off (businesses may have more than one stop tap)
  • Drain the cold water system by flushing the toilet and opening cold taps over sinks
  • Check pipes for signs of damage and if it’s safe to do so, slowly thaw the frozen pipe with hot water bottles or a towel soaked in hot water, starting at the end of the pipe. Never use a naked flame or blowtorch to thaw a pipe.
  • Switch your stop tap back on and check your water is running properly again.
  • If you are unsure of anything at any time, call a registered plumber.


What do you do if you have a burst pipe?

  • Try to find where the burst is - and turn off the supply by turning the stop tap clockwise.
  • Open all taps to reduce flooding and soak up or block off escaping water with thick towels
  • Turn off your electrics: if the water is near anything electrical - including lights, sockets or appliances - don’t touch them. Electrical wiring damaged by water can be very dangerous and you’ll probably need to call a professional to repair damage.
  • Move any vulnerable stock or business equipment
  • Call a registered plumber - if you need help to repair a burst pipe, contact a Watersafe-assured plumber.

If you are unable to isolate the supply by turning off the stop taps within your property we may be able to help if there is an external stop tap to your property. Please content us. Do not attempt to operate our external stop tap.

Who’s responsible for fixing the problem?

Frozen pipes on your property 
If pipes in your business or on your property are frozen, it’s your responsibility. You’ll need to call a registered plumber. A list of Watersafe-assured plumbers can be found here.

Burst or leaking water pipe

Protect your sewers

Anything other than toilet paper flushed away or fat and grease rinsed down the sink can prevent sewers from flowing freely, and frozen weather can make this worse. Find out more at