FAQs | Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
Dwr Cymru Welsh Water

Monday, 17th February

With flooding still affecting many communities in Wales and Herefordshire, we are experiencing high volumes of calls due to the high winds and heavy rain and our crews are extremely busy.

Here are the organisations you may need to contact:

Natural Resources Wales - 0800 80 70 60 (24 Hours) - if the flooding is coming from a watercourse (such as a stream) that is about to or has burst its banks.

Your Local Council – if you suspect the flooding is resulting from rising groundwater or surface water run off.

Welsh Water Sewerage Services & Emergencies - 0800 085 3968 (24 hours) or report an issue via a webform – for flooding inside your property caused by a blocked or overloaded sewer.



We've matched this to your question:

Do business customers pay VAT on their water bills

VAT is not currently chargeable on sewage services.

VAT is added to water supply charges to relevant industrial customers who are defined within divisions 1-5 of the Standard Industrial Classification List 1980 (SIC):

  • Division 1 - Energy and water supply industries
  • Division 2 - Extraction of minerals and ores other than fuels; manufacture of metal, mineral products and chemicals
  • Division 3 - Metal goods, engineering and vehicle industries
  • Division 4 - Other manufacturing industries
  • Division 5 - Construction

Where supplies are for both relevant industrial activities and other purposes, VAT is chargeable if the predominant activity of the customer falls within any of the above divisions. Water supply charges to all other customers are zero rated for VAT purposes.

Other services provided by the company may be subject to VAT as described in our Scheme of Charges booklet, and we will be happy to provide details when quotations are requested.

Still unsure? Speak to an agent