Trade Effluent Consents | Trade Effluent | Business | Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
Dwr Cymru Welsh Water

Monday, 17th February

With flooding still affecting many communities in Wales and Herefordshire, we are experiencing high volumes of calls due to the high winds and heavy rain and our crews are extremely busy.

Here are the organisations you may need to contact:

Natural Resources Wales - 0800 80 70 60 (24 Hours) - if the flooding is coming from a watercourse (such as a stream) that is about to or has burst its banks.

Your Local Council – if you suspect the flooding is resulting from rising groundwater or surface water run off.

Welsh Water Sewerage Services & Emergencies - 0800 085 3968 (24 hours) or report an issue via a webform – for flooding inside your property caused by a blocked or overloaded sewer.

If your business plans to discharge trade effluent into any public foul sewer within our supply area, you must get our permission before any discharges take place. This is a legal requirement under the Water Industry Act 1991.

What is trade effluent?

Trade effluent is any liquid waste (effluent) discharged into our sewers from a business or industrial process. This can be best described as anything other than domestic sewage (toilet, bath or sink waste) or uncontaminated surface water and roof drainage (rainwater).

The application process

If you would like to enquire about obtaining a trade effluent consent, please follow the link below to complete our online form.

After processing your enquiry, we will send you a document called a preliminary details form for you to complete and email (or post) to us, along with other supporting information.

Once we have received your preliminary details form, we will assess the acceptability of the discharge to the receiving sewer, pumping stations and sewage treatment works.

If the risk of accepting a discharge is acceptable, we will issue you with a formal notice or application. You must return this fully signed and dated, so that we can issue you with formal documentation that will allow you to discharge.

Consent to Discharge Trade Effluent will be issued for discharges of trade effluent.