Some top tips from Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water
How to prevent pipes from freezing:
- Make sure you know the location of your stop tap so you can reach it quickly in an emergency (TIP: It's often under the kitchen sink).
- Keep an eye out for frozen pipes, bursts or leaks.
- Fix dripping taps – a gentle trickle of water can freeze and completely block the pipe
- Keep your heating on low if leaving premises empty.
- Make sure any exposed pipes are wrapped or lagged.
For more advice and to get your lagging kit for less than half price, click here.
What to do if pipes freeze:
- Find your stop tap and turn it off.
- Turn on nearby cold taps, to allow the water to escape when it thaws.
- Don't turn hot taps on until the central heating is switched off.
- Move things that might be damaged if the pipe bursts when the water thaws.
- Apply a hot water bottle or hot wet towel to a frozen pipe.
- If you notice a leak after thawing, turn off the stop tap and call a plumber.
- If you are unsure of anything at any time, call a certified plumber.
If you need to report a leaking or burst pipe that is not on your property or if you have concerns about the quality of your water, then please call us on 0800 052 0130.